Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Relax into the pose


An hour and a half of Balasana (child's pose) on my bedroom floor and here's the result.

It's the Lift and Separate sweater from Big Girl Knits all blocked out. I used every straight pin in the house and tried like hell to keep it smooth without stretching it out. It's plenty big, if I had it to do over again I probably would have made the next size smaller, but we'll see how it seams up.
I washed it in Soak before I blocked it. The aquae scent seemed nice enough as I set the pieces in it; clean but not too overpowering. I got it all squeezed out and on the floor before the smell really hit me. It smells like a cheesy beauty parlor circa 1986. It smells like perm! I don't really know why but it my whole bedroom smells like somebody got a permanent about 3 days ago. In a weird way it's kind of comforting, because my mom had a frightening perm through most of my childhood. So it reminds me hugs from mom after she got her hair done.
Hopefully it will dry fast and I won't have to live in the beauty barn for too long. I'm ready to wear the thing already. And I've got a cue a mile long of other projects I want to start. Several including all the goodies from Kid n Ewe. That event was pretty thoroughly covered in knit blog land, but I had a great time, met some great people, got some great yarn, and listened to some great Canadian music (thanks Caro!). What more could you want.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks good! I can't wait to see it when it's all seamed up

11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! A sweater all knat and ready to seam. Stitch n Bitch has great seaming instructions.

That smell. It will dry up.

7:06 AM  
Blogger meg said...

rad! i'm so inspired to finish up my central park hoodie, now. i think i would have bought the aqua because if the "clean" but you've convinced me to try another scent.

i can't wait to see it on you. wool of the andes. i looove it when you say that.

i have to admit all that time spent blocking sounds terrible!

7:55 AM  
Blogger Amy Mac said...

WHOOO HOOO!

I cannot wait to see this seamed!

If only I could finish the pirate sweater back, then I could move on to fun projects like this for me!

9:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so excited! I didn't know you were working on something from that book - it's on my wish list - there are several things in there I know my oldest will like - she can be sooo picky. Make a blocking board and the painful position will be standing up leaning over the dining table - just a bit easier. The blocking - she is sooo worth the trouble.

1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you bringing it to seam up tomorrow? SWEEEEEEEET!
oh, and the citrus smell soak is very subtle...for next time I guess. The perm reference almost made me spit out my drink. hehehe.

5:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I can't wait to see it! I was so disappointed in the sweater I knitted from the book (can't remember title--short sleeve, cotton top) and am trying to encourage myself to try something else.

10:22 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

Perm smell. Mental note to not buy that Soak any time in the near future.

I will be interested in hearing more on how you like the sweater - I have flipped through that book more than once, but didn't find anything that made me feel that it was a "must have" book for me. I was quite uninspired by it, which was sad because I had high hopes for it.

10:26 PM  
Blogger MollyKnits said...

Can't wait to see a picture of you in your sweater! I am going to buy the yarn to make mine with my Christmas money.

8:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great sweater!!

Could it be that the "perm smell" is not from the Soak, but from the wool? Whenever I've washed wool or felted it, I always get a big whiff of perm solution smell, no matter what wash I use.

1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com