Thursday, September 21, 2006

Love/Hate

Since I've started reading knitting blogs I've heard a lot about the glory of Addi Turbo needles. So many people swear by them (blunt tips and all) that I've been itching to try some. I finally caved and bought a 16" size 10 circular last night, came home knit up a storm and glowed at how slippery and bendy and quick they were. Then my hands started to hurt, then my right wrist got really pissed. I can't use the Addi's, bummer.
As best I can figure it's a case of my apparently giant man hands versus the short little Addi points. I can't get a good grip on them. They're definitley shorter than the points on my Boye needlemaster ones.


I've been working with the Patons Soy Wool Stripes, getting an early start on a christmas present. And I freakin love this colorway. It's black and grey and tan and mauve and blue and every shade in between. It's soft, a little fuzzy, and altogether gorgeous, but I'm worried about yarn flaws. It was nice and even for most of the skein and then I came accross this giant hairy monster. I hope there's not too many more of these.



Those are my knitting woes for the evening. ACL fest was AWEsome! If you were at Gomez on Friday I was the crazy lady dancing in front. I saw Ben Kweller covered in real blood and Wayne Coyne covered in fake blood. I sweat my ass off and had a blast.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't give up on the Addis yet. Only the 16" needles have points that short - and my big hands have a problem with them too. But I love my 24" sets and use them for all my flat knitting as well as my knitting in the round. Can you exchange them at HCW?

12:14 AM  
Blogger samiha.qureshi@gmail.com said...

You know, I never liked the addis because of they are slippery. I'm a decent knitter, but I'm clumsy. I don't normally drop stitches, but with the addis,I seem to drop them all the time! I can't knit on the circular addis when doing work back and forth. I can knit in the round on them o.k., but I can't seem to grab them well. They're too slippery. Well, just a fellow knitter's opinion. While everyone else swears by them, I swear at them.
Sam

3:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Give up on the Addis. I just got the KnitPicks set and they are more pointy and straight and a bit longer than the Boye needlemasters. They are awesome and tons cheaper than the Addis and you can adjust them like the Boyes....

6:19 PM  
Blogger MollyKnits said...

I avoid 16 inch circs (whatever the brand) as much as possible! I don't have "man hands" but I have a hard time gipping the shorter circs as well. For socks, I like a 24 and a 36 (I can keep track of which side is which that way).

9:26 PM  
Blogger Triona said...

I lurve my Boye Needlemaster set! I tried to like Addi's too, I really did, but the Boye are so pointy and have nice long tips. Of course, that does mean you can't get them in shorter sizes, but I'm working on building up my stash of 16" circs to compensate.

8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love addis. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE them. Even the 16" ones. But they aren't good for Kidsilk Haze. They are geniuis for worsted wool stockinette in the round. Dreamy.

Little tiny sock needles hurt my wrists.

10:41 AM  
Blogger rohanknitter said...

I'm about 6 inches into a scarf for myself and I've had 2 blobs like that in my Paton's SWS. I hope it doesn't continue--I really like this yarn but I'm not liking how these untwisted blobs are looking. (looks like the first time I tried to spin- or worse!)
I was surfing blogs to see if anyone else is having the same prob.

4:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know if you want to try this...perhaps on scrap yarn...but if you cut the blob out...then fray back both ends of the snipped yarn about two inches....I usually go for four sections in each side...then cut two of the sections off, lay the remaining ends on each other and roll in your hands. Wetting the yarn a little first makes this process faster. The wool will felt into a strand the width of the rest. Sounds like a lot of work....but, that's just the description...it really takes only a minute.

3:42 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

I just have to say, I have ditched my Addi Turbos in favor of my Knitpicks Options needle set. They are just as slick, longer needles, and they are pointy for knitting. I looooooove them.

10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com