Sunday, August 20, 2006

How a sock saved my mind

I just got back from the weekend with the kinfolk. And again I come to the conclusion they're all nuts. At least I had my sock. Everytime my family did or said something mildly horrifying I had the sock to distract me.

Family: My cousin coaching her 3 year old daughter to tell me "You like that face yo mamma gave you? Cause I's is fixin to mess it up!"
Me: You know, I really like the short row toe, it makes it much easier to join in the round.

Family: So Abbe, when are you going to get married?
Me: Oh bother, I've dropped a stitch, where is my crochet needle?

Family: You see the trick is to get your job to pay you under the table so you don't have to pay taxes on it and you can still collect disability.
Me: What a lovely colorway! I just love the green, orange and purple!

Family: So Abbe, when are you going to have babies?
Me: Is it time to turn the heel yet?

Family: My Great Aunt cooks vegetables; that's one part bacon grease, one part butter, and one part veggie. Eat up y'all!
Me: I don't think I'm wrapping these stitches the right way, should I start doing it right or just be consistent?

Family: Really, why Ain't you married with babies yet?
Me: Ack, I'm going to have a weird stripe, but it's not worth breaking the yarn.

You get the gist of it. I'm just glad to be home. Here's what the sock looked like by the end of the weekend.

7 Comments:

Blogger Norma said...

Isn't knitting a wonderful way to deal with stress? The sock looks beautiful. You did a great job on the weekend. The colorway is delightful.

8:55 PM  
Blogger stitching pooh said...

That sock looks great. I can't belive you did it with all the distractions.

12:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The healing powers of the sock are amazing. Isn't family fun?

6:46 AM  
Blogger meg said...

the socks looking great. glad you had an outlet when things got weird. i know i will be doing a lot of the same over the holidays!

11:44 AM  
Blogger MollyKnits said...

Socks make everything better! :)

6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This, unfortunately, sounds verrry familiar. Especially the baby question... my mom has a one track mind and that track is "grandchildren."

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so funny! I have ET kin too (Naples/Mt. Pleasant) and they are the very same way. We had one that was institutionalized for a bit - Crazy Aunt (pronounced aint) Thelma, she was bat-shit crazy, but after she got out of Terrell, she wasn't really dangerous any more. Then some other family ended up in Red Oak - omg - what readnecks they turned out to be. The sock is pretty cheerful, I can see how it helped you out.

10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com